Mexican Avocado Lime Chicken Soup Recipe Will Knock Your Soup-Loving Socks Off by Sarah Griffin
It's chicken soup season, which is exciting enough. But chicken soup just got so much better, because this Mexican avocado lime chicken soup recipe is packed with flavor, flavor, flavor. In fact, I'm pretty sure the taste will knock your soup-loving socks off!
This soothing soup recipe starts with a tangy broth that's packed with Mexican flavors, then it gets even better. This gluten-free soup recipe is loaded with shredded chicken and creamy avocado, and it's ready in about 30 minutes. Seriously! Your week just got a little better, right?
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped green onions, including whites (mince the whites)
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cans (14.5 ounces each) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 medium avocados, peeled, cored and diced
- tortilla chips, Monterey jack cheese, sour cream, for serving (optional)
- If you want a spicier soup, leave the jalapeño seeds in.
- Fresh lime juice is preferred, but in a pinch, you can use bottled.
- If you don't plan on serving the soup right away, I would recommend adding the avocados to each bowl individually, about half an avocado per serving.
- Serve with tortilla chips, shredded cheese and sour cream, if desired.
- Store leftovers in a container in the refrigerator or freeze for up to three months.
Here’s how to make it:
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the green onions and jalapenos and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes, adding garlic during last 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, cumin and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the chicken breasts. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover with lid and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken has cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes (cook time will vary based on thickness of chicken breasts).
- Reduce burner to warm heat. Remove the chicken from pan and let rest on a cutting board 5 minutes, then shred chicken and return to soup.
- Stir in cilantro and lime juice. Add avocados to soup just before serving. Serve with tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 14.6g
Saturated Fat: 2.7g
Total Carbohydrate: 7.4g
Dietary Fiber: 4.2g
Total Sugars: 1.1g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.