Zucchini Ratatouille: Use Up That Summer Squash With This Healthy Recipe by Carrie Watts
I love zucchini, but it’s a bit of a treat here in Scotland to get ones as flavorful as the ones from Upstate New York. So, if I happen across a particularly good crop, I race to make this ratatouille-inspired dish. Paired with yellow squash and peppers, this is as colorful as it is filling. Serve with breaded chicken or whole-wheat pasta, with rice and naan bread or as a side dish on its own.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- garlic (about 1 teaspoon)
- 3 big zucchinis (or 2 medium zucchini and 2 medium yellow squash)
- salt, pepper and Italian seasoning, to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 medium red pepper
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 medium yellow pepper
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
Here’s how to make it:
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan over a medium heat. Add the garlic once oil is sizzling hot. Add zucchini (and/or yellow squash) to soften fully (can take up to 15 minutes). Add the seasonings to taste.
- Add the tomato paste and mix thoroughly. When soft, add peppers and repeat the process.
- Add stock, more or less of it depending on preference, and stir. Add chopped tomatoes. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.