Got Jetlag? Here's How to Make Fresh Cut Ginger & Mint Leaf Tea, the "German Jet Lag Cure" by Elisa All Schmitz 30Seconds
After a long overseas flight, you're bound to get hit by jet lag. What is it? According to the Mayo Clinic, jet lag (also called jet lag disorder) is a temporary sleep problem that can affect anyone who quickly travels across multiple time zones: "Jet lag occurs because your body's clock is still synced to your original time zone, instead of to the time zone where you've traveled. The more time zones crossed, the more likely you are to experience jet lag."
Jet lag can cause all kinds of unpleasant symptoms, including daytime fatigue, moodiness, difficulty staying alert, gastrointestinal problems, headaches and just a feeling of being unwell. The good news is that jet lag is temporary; it usually takes about a day to recover for each time zone crossed.
So what can you do to minimize your jet lag or recover more quickly? After a recent flight to Germany, I discovered what I'm calling the "German Jet Lag Cure." I shared how I was feeling with the wait staff at our hotel, and they brought me a steaming mug of fresh cut ginger and mint leaf tea with organic lemon and honey that they swear helps with jet lag (and a variety of other maladies). Here's why:
- Ginger is known to help soothe nausea and boost the immune system.
- Mint may help with stomach issues and also may help reduce inflammation.
- Fresh lemon is an antioxidant that may help with energy levels, mood and metabolism.
- Honey has flavonoids (antioxidants) and has been known to soothe sickness and boost immunity.
After drinking this tea, I felt so much better! Here's how you make it:
- Pour hot water into a tea cup or mug.
- Add about 1 inch of fresh cut ginger, sliced into small segments.
- Add 10-15 fresh mint leaves, depending on how strong you want it.
- Add one or two round slices of organic lemon.
- Add at least 1 teaspoon of organic honey (or honeycomb, if you can get it).
Let your brew steep about three minutes (the longer you steep it, the stronger it gets!), then sip and enjoy.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Honey $6 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.