Inflammation Remedies: 6 Things You Can Do to Reduce Inflammation (and Feel Better, Too!) by Sophia L. Thomas, DNP, APRN, FNP-BC, PPCNP-BC, FNAP, FAANP
Inflammation is the body’s natural first defense to an outside threat. Infections, injuries and toxins trip a signal to increase blood flow and send immune cells to danger, but the response is intended to be temporary. Sometimes the body gets stuck in fight response and the immune system goes haywire. This type of chronic inflammation is associated with nearly every major disease, including cancer, diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer’s and even depression.
The good news is lifestyle changes can reduce chronic inflammation. Here’s how:
- Exercise. The most active people have the least amount of inflammation.
- Reduce stress. Prolonged release of the stress hormone cortisol suppresses the immune system.
- Eat an anti-inflammatory diet. Fruits, veggies and omega 3 fatty acids found in fish and nuts reduce inflammation.
- Quit smoking. Nicotine activates white blood cells that trigger a chronic inflammatory response.
- Limit alcohol. The inflammatory marker CRP increases in people who consume alcohol.
- Sleep. Inflammatory markers jump 6 percent for every hour of sleep lost below seven hours.
Inflammation is a good thing, but too much of it can cause all sorts of problems. If you suspect inflammation is behind your health problems, talk to your nurse practitioner or another provider. Lifestyle changes are important, but sometimes medicine will also help. The bottom line is, don’t let inflammation sabotage your body!
The information on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information provided through this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Inflammation Supplements $6 & Up
Exercise Equipment $5 & Up
Stress Balls $4 & Up
Quit Smoking Aids $7 & Up
Sleep Machines $15 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.