Crawfish Boil: How to Prepare & Cook Live Crawfish (aka Mudbugs) by Donna John
It's crawfish season! Thinking of having a crawfish boil but not sure how to do it? Here's how to prepare and cook live crawfish, plus some extra tips to make your get-together a success.
How to prepare crawfish:
- Store live crawfish in a cool, shaded location. Keep them in the sack until you're ready to cook.
- You’ll need to purge the crawfish before cooking. Put the crawfish into a large bucket or cooler. Cover them heavily with salt and fill the cooler with water to submerge the crawfish. Stir the crawfish for about five minutes with a large paddle or spoon.
- After five minutes, remove any crawfish that are floating. The dead crawfish must be thrown away.
- Continue purging until the water is mostly clear. Drain the water from the cooler.
How to cook crawfish:
- Fill a large metal pot (60 gallons works well) with water. Season the water with crawfish boil seasoning of your choice.
- You can also add lemon halves, garlic and even fresh herbs, if desired. Bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and corn. Cook until almost tender.
- Add the crawfish. Return to boil and cook about 10 minutes. Turn off the heat, cover and let the crawfish sit about 15 minutes.
- Remove crawfish, potatoes and corn from liquid, draining well. Continue to cook more batches of crawfish.
More crawfish boil tips:
- Cook 3 to 5 pounds of crawfish per person.
- For easy cleanup, cover large tables with newspaper and dump the crawfish directly on the table.
- Give guests crawfish trays or cut cardboard boxes in half and use those instead. When you're done, simply toss them in the garbage.
- Serve with bottled or homemade remoulade sauce and/or cocktail sauce. Some people like tartar sauce, too.
- Put out rolls of paper towels and wet hand wipes (it gets messy!).
- Along with the corn and potatoes, you can also throw in mushrooms and even hard-boiled eggs (they are delicious).
- Learn how to peel crawfish.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Crawfish Trays $7 & Up
Crawfish Boil Pots $55 & Up
Crawfish Paddles $7 & Up
Crawfish Boil Seasonings $7 & Up
Wet Hand Wipes $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.