Tartar Sauce Recipes: 5 Ways to Make Homemade Tartar Sauce by Donna John
Why buy jarred tartar sauce when homemade takes about five minutes to make? Classic tartar sauce can be made with dill or sweet pickles, depending on your tastes. If classic is just too … well, classic … for you, try the easy variations. Your seafood or french fries will thank you.
For classic tartar sauce you’ll need:
- 1 cup mayonnaise (get Chef Gigi's recipe for homemade mayonnaise)
- 6 tablespoons dill pickle relish or sweet pickle relish or freshly chopped dill pickles or sweet pickles
- 3 tablespoons minced onion (or more to taste)
Here’s how you make it:
- Combine all ingredients. Season with salt and pepper, to taste
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Dill Tartar Sauce – add 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill and 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Tartar Sauce With Capers – add 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 2 teaspoons capers
- Jalapeno Tartar Sauce – omit pickle relish and add 2 tablespoons lime juice, 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno and 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Tabasco Tartar Sauce – add 2 teaspoons capers, 1-2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce and 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.