6-Ingredient Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe Puts Canned Soup to Shame by 30Seconds Food
The six ingredients are ones you probably already have in your kitchen: butter, mushrooms, onion, flour, chicken broth and half and half or whipping cream. Use half and half for a lighter soup. Using cream in this soup recipe will make the finished product creamier. Your choice! You could even use nut milk if you don't drink or cook with cow's milk. Want to go gluten-free? Use gluten-free flour.
Want even more mushrooms? Roast or sauté additional mushrooms to use as a garnish. This easy six-ingredient cream of mushroom soup recipe can be used in place of canned cream of mushroom soup in recipes.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Total Time: 23 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (8 ounces) fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half or whipping cream
Here’s how to make it:
- Melt the butter in a large pot. Add the mushrooms and onion and cook until soft.
- In a bowl, combine the broth and flour until smooth. Pour into the mushroom-onion mixture.
- Bring to a boil and cook, stirring often, until thick, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat and add the half and half. Simmer about 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree until almost smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.