Colcannon Recipe With Bacon: This Irish Potato Dish Is What to Serve on St. Patrick's Day by Donna John
Colcannon is a traditional Irish dish of mashed potatoes with kale or cabbage. This Irish side dish is so delicious, you'll find yourself craving it long after St. Patrick's Day is over. This easy colcannon recipe has the bonus of including bacon, and is on the table in about 30 minutes. Why not make it for your St. Patrick's Day dinner (or anytime)?
This colcannon recipe starts with potatoes that have been boiled until tender. The potatoes are mashed with milk and set aside. Cabbage or kale is cooked in butter until softened, then added to the mashed potatoes along with the cooked and crumbled crisp bacon. Season the colcannon with salt and pepper, to taste, and it is ready to be served.
If you're not a fan of bacon, you could use ham, prosciutto or pancetta. Serve these elevated mashed potato side dish with corned beef, brisket, chicken, lamb or pork tenderloin. The Irish potato recipe goes well with any protein.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 cup milk or cream
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chopped cabbage or kale
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
Here’s how to make it:
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- Add the milk or cream to the potatoes and mash. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in another pot. Add the cabbage or kale and green onions and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and the bacon, if using, to the mashed potatoes. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with additional butter, if desired.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.