Easy Mexican Shortbread Cookies Recipe: 6-Ingredient Polvorones Cookie Recipe for Cinco de Mayo by Kathy Widenhouse
Mexican shortbread cookies, also called polvorones (prounounced pohll-vuh-rohn-ays), come in all shapes and sizes. Pink and yellow polvorones are traditionally offered at Mexican bakeries.
You'll likely find many polvorones around Cinco de Mayo, a day to commemorate the Mexican Army's victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. For many, Cinco de Mayo means an excuse to enjoy Mexican food (as if you need an excuse).
This easy polvorones cookies recipe is fun to make with your kids for Cinco de Mayo. Make enough to serve as dessert for friends and family!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 to 12 minutes
Total Time: 40 to 45 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pink and yellow food coloring
- rainbow sprinkles
Here's how you make it:
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, combine the butter and sugar. Gradually add flour and salt. The mixture will be crumbly. Continue to beat the cookie dough until it forms soft pellets.
- Divide the cookie dough in half. Place one half in a separate bowl. Add yellow food coloring to one half and pink food coloring to the other half. Mix each bowl separately, one at a time, until the pellets turn a uniform yellow/uniform pink. Work each half of the dough with your hands until it forms a ball.
- To roll out dough, begin with one color. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough between two sheets of plastic wrap to 1/4-inch thickness. Peel off the top layer of plastic wrap. Cut out cookies with cookie cutters directly onto the plastic wrap below. Carefully transfer the cookies to an ungreased baking sheet, placing the cookies about 1 to 2-inches apart. Continue to roll out dough until all is cut out. Decorate cookies with colorful sprinkles.
- Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes for 2-inch cookies (a bit less for smaller cut outs, a bit more for larger ones.) Remove baking sheets from the oven. Let the cookies cool for about 2 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container with waxed paper between layers.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Electric Mixers $15 & Up
Rolling Pins $6 & Up
Cookie Cutters $6 & Up
Baking Sheets $9 & Up
Flour $3 & Up
Sugar $3 & Up
Food Coloring $3 & Up
Rainbow Sprinkles $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.