Best Budget Barbacoa Recipe: This Is How to Use a Chuck Roast by 30Seconds Food
Barbacoa is an authentic Mexican dish that is made with goat, beef or lamb. This easy barbacoa recipe is made with an inexpensive chuck roast and cooked low and slow in a slow cooker. The slow-cooked beef is flavorful and a perfect filling for tacos.
Grab a pen and jot down these ingredients then head to store! You are going to want to make this barbacoa beef recipe ASAP. You'll need the following ingredients for this budget recipe: a chuck roast, onion, garlic, a can of chopped green chiles, a can of chipotles in adobo sauce, ground cumin, dried oregano, beef broth, apple cider vinegar, fresh lime juice and bay leaves. That's it!
Serve this barbacoa beef with your favorite side dishes or shred and make it into amazing tacos. You just elevated taco night!
Fun Fact: According to The Food Network, "even though many of us associate barbacoa with Mexican cuisine, the term and the cooking style originated in the Caribbean with the native Taino people, and many food historians agree that all forms of barbecue in the Americas are descendants of this style of cooking."
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Cuisine: Mexican / Caribbean
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6 to 8 hours
Total Time: 10 minutes plus 6 to 8 hours
Servings: 6 to 8
- 1 chuck roast (about 3 pounds)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 chipotles in adobo, chopped (here's how to save the remaining chipotles in adobo)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 bay leaves
- chopped fresh cilantro
- chopped onion
- sliced avocado
- flour or corn tortillas
- Any roast will work for this barbacoa recipe.
- Squeeze your own fresh lime juice. Fresh is best!
Here's how to make it:
- Season the roast with salt and pepper. Put it into a slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours.
- Shred the meat. Serve in tortillas with desired toppings.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.