Deciding Whether to Breastfeed? Here Are 6 Breastfeeding Facts to Help You Make Up Your Mind by Sophia L. Thomas, DNP, APRN, FNP-BC, PPCNP-BC, FNAP, FAANP
Breastfeeding is an amazing human phenomenon, but it has its challenges. As a nurse practitioner, I’ve fielded hundreds of questions from moms who want the real scoop. Here are six practical facts that I share with parents who are deciding whether breastfeeding is right for their family:
- It’s less expensive and more accessible. You don’t ever have to worry about forgetting food.
- It’s your baby’s secret recipe. Breast milk has just the right amount of protein, fats, vitamins and carbohydrates for your baby.
- It’s healing. Breast milk has antibodies that fight infection, and when you or your baby is sick, you make more than usual.
- It’s a living substance. Breast milk contains live cells, including stem cells, which grow to become brain, heart, kidney and bone tissue.
- It’s a built-in workout. Breastfeeding burns an extra 500 to 600 calories a day.
- It’s healthier for Mom. Women who breastfeed have a lower risk of developing cancer, heart disease, diabetes and depression.
Breastfeeding isn’t for everyone, but for many, the pros far outweigh the cons. Talk to your provider if you have questions or concerns!
To learn more, visit WeChooseNPs.org.
The information on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information provided through this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire ... and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.