Editor's Letter: Forgoing the Fireworks – Marriage Is About the Little Things (Plus What's Trending On 30Seconds This Week) by Elisa A. Schmitz 30Seconds
My husband and I celebrated our sixth wedding anniversary on July 4th. We got married on a sunny day that ended with fireworks – not a bad way to put an exclamation point on the first moments of our new life together.
While fireworks may have made our wedding day extra special six years ago, these last 16 months have shown us more than ever that marriage is not about fireworks. Marriage is about the little things that happen every day that have the power to drive you apart or bring you closer together.
For a couple used to being in perpetual motion because of parenting, family, business, travel, giving back and more, the pandemic drastically altered our life – with no advance notice. We went from a very “noisy” life to a very quiet one. And the beauty is that, now, it’s in the quiet moments where our marriage finds the most meaning.
Relationships take work and, more than ever, they require care. We used to travel the world, and now we travel the neighborhood. We used to attend galas, and now we tend to our garden. We still go on dates, but the dates are different: they're quieter, closer, more in tune with the other’s needs. Outside challenges are always there, and we face them together. We take life as it comes, and course correct as needed.
What’s the secret? Gratitude. We both think we’re the luckiest spouse in the world, and neither takes the other for granted. Ever.
I’m grateful for the little things: He makes me coffee, I bake him chocolate. He holds my hand, I cut his hair. He grills me salmon, I make him rhubarb strawberry crisp (that was an anniversary gift to him – never made rhubarb before, it was delish!).
So for now, we’re forgoing the fireworks. Instead, we’re committed to learning more about each other and growing together. We’re grateful for every moment, because we realize the gift of our love.
Who are you are grateful for? Make sure to let them know.
Here's What's Trending On 30Seconds This Week
- How to Build Resilience in Kids in a Post-COVID World: A Resilience Checklist for Parents
- Lemon Ice Cream Sandwiches Recipe: Fun Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches With Lemon Ice Cream
- When a Mom Becomes a Superhero: Actor Greta Lind's New Novel "Split Open" Is Based On Her Real-life Moment Stopping a Runaway School Bus
- Peanut Butter Pancakes Recipe: Breakfast Just Got More Fun With This Easy Peanut Butter Pancake Recipe
- Expert Q&A: Can Empathy Be Learned or Am I Fighting a Losing Battle With My Husband Who Has Zero Empathy?
- Margarita Cupcakes Recipe With Lime Frosting: A Refreshing Boozy Dessert for Summer Gatherings
- Life’s Simple Pleasures: 10 Little Things That Aren't So Little to Me
- Refreshing Rhubarb Cocktail Recipe: This Easy Rhubarb Lemon Cocktail Recipe Is Pretty in Pink
- Pineapple Lemonade Recipe: Here's the Refreshing Lemonade Recipe You've Been Searching For
- Lemon Ice Cubes Recipe: 2 Ways to Make Lemon Ice Cubes for Your Lemon Water & Other Drinks
Want to Contribute?
If you have some inspiration you'd like to share, we invite you to join our tribe and become a 30Seconds contributor. On 30Seconds, we realize that time is your most precious resource, and we’ll help you make the most of it. We look forward to having you join our thriving community. You can learn more about me at ElisaSchmitz.com, and get my inspiration for achieving career and life success at BecomeTheFire.com.
Want to Work With Us?
We work with companies we feel good about. To learn more, get in touch with us at email@example.com.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.