Things Menopause Taught Me: My Secrets to Fewer Hot Flashes & Getting Better Sleep by Belinda Lichty Clarke
As I write this article, it occurs to me that I haven’t had a hot flash all day – and it’s coming up on 2 p.m.! So, as I savor this small victory, I offer up a few “tales from the front” for how I’ve navigated the menopause journey – and made myself a little more comfortable in the process. I've found that you don't have to be a hot mess throughout menopause. Here are my secrets to kicking hot flashes to the curb and getting better sleep!
If only there was one secret to taming hot flashes, those overwhelming waves of self-combustion. Unfortunately, I don’t think one exists. To complicate matters for me, as a direct descendant of two women who died of breast cancer (mom and grandma), hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is not an option.
For me, the secret to fewer hot flashes is basically throwing everything I can at them, including doubling and even tripling down on over-the-counter remedies. My mix?
- Estroven menopause relief supplement
- Generic Walgreens Menopause relief supplement
- Calcium + Magnesium supplement
- Basic probiotic from Trader Joe’s
This menopause supplement “cocktail” has definitely seemed to do the trick. The only problem is, I don’t know which one is actually the star player. But, it’s relatively affordable so I’m sticking with it.
While I’m sure the pandemic and political and social climate is part of the root of my insomnia issues, being in the thick of menopause doesn’t help. Yes, I’m drinking more water to be healthy and flush out my system, but then I’m up twice a night and it’s hard to fall back to sleep. And, since melatonin is not recommended for long-term use, I’ve made a few changes that have really helped my sleep.
- PeachSkinSheets: I was on the quest forever for light, airy and sweat-resistant sheets – and I found them through a friend. They’re called PeachSkinSheets, and although I can’t tell you exactly how they make the fabric, it’s a game changer. I’m less hot, less sweaty and the sheets are incredibly soft and wrinkle resistant. And, they’re affordable.
- Pillow Spray: I’m all about aromatherapy, and thisworks Deep Sleep Pillow Spray is my ticket to snoozeville. A few spritzes on the pillow and the whole room feels more relaxed.
- Goodnight Moon Neck and Chest Cream: I’ve been using this whipped concoction by Truly Beauty on my neck and chest for about two years now and the light, blueberry hint-of-a-scent is just enough but not overwhelming. It’s also done wonders for my chest sun damage and wrinkles.
"New Self" Acceptance
This may be the hardest part of the whole journey – my evolving shape. Unless you’re an aging celebrity who has the luxury of a daily personal trainer and on-site chef, weight gain is inevitable. It took me a while, but I finally stopped beating myself up about my expanding middle/back/bum. I’m still exercising regularly, and I eat (mostly!) healthy, but I know that my new size is going to be my new normal – and I’m coming to terms with that.
I’d love to hear from the 30Seconds community about what products, workouts, mantras, etc., have helped make the menopause journey a little easier. Let’s share!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links. The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get inspiration in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Estroven $10 & Up
Menopause Relief Aids $8 & Up
Calcium Magnesium Supplements $8 & Up
Probiotics $6 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.