Leaky Gut Syndrome: 5 Signs That You May Have a Leaky Gut (Some Symptoms Will Surprise You) by Dr. Vikki Petersen
You may have a leaky gut if you experience digestive issues, skin conditions, bone and joint pain, a mood disorder or an autoimmune disease. When these things occur, we often think of outside factors that could be impacting our bodies, like cold weather. This isn’t always the case, though, and sometimes what is causing the problem is actually coming from within.
A leaky gut is a condition where your small intestine is not efficiently acting as a barrier to toxins, infectious or inflammatory organisms, and partially digested food. A single layer of cells makes up the lining of your small intestine. That lining, when healthy, brilliantly “decides” who and what may pass through it into your bloodstream and who or what should be contained due to its tendency to create ill health. When the integrity of that lining is compromised, ill health will result.
Here are five signs to look out for that may signal you have a leaky gut:
- Autoimmune Disease: Autoimmune disease is where your immune system mistakes a part of your body as something foreign that should be attacked. Considering 80 percent of your immune system is housed in your gut, it has been well established that a leaky gut is a common initiator of autoimmune disease due to the influx of substances (chemicals, toxins, infectious organisms) that are putting undue stress upon your immune system.
- Digestive Issues: As mentioned above, a healthy small intestine ensures that food is properly digested and absorbed while simultaneously preventing any migration of substances that should not enter your bloodstream. A leaky gut is not able to perform the above functions and can cause a variety of digestive complaints including bloating, gas, indigestion, constipation, diarrhea, IBS, acid reflux and more.
- Skin Conditions: Skin health reflects gut health. It has long been established that skin conditions frequently have their root cause in poor gut health, especially leaky gut. In my clinic we have excellent success treating eczema, psoriasis, rashes and acne through, predominantly, regaining optimal gut function and healing a leaky gut.
- Bone and Joint Pain: Often body aches are due to systemic inflammation. Inflammation occurs when the immune system is overwhelmed by some of the “substances” we’ve been discussing. And recall 80 percent of your immune system is housed in your gut. A leaky gut contributes to systemic inflammation.
- Mood Disorder: It seems like a stretch, but in fact, hormonal balance and cognitive health are very tied to gut health. It truly would not be any exaggeration to state that good health is impossible with an unhealthy digestive system (leaky gut). Hormonal balance is tied to the health of the good bacteria in your gut, your ability to absorb healthy nutrients from a nutritious diet and controlling inflammation.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links. The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get inspiration in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
The Well-Fed Microbiome Cookbook: Vital Microbiome Diet Recipes to Repair and Renew the Body and Brain $8
More Books About Leaky Gut $5 & Up
Probiotics $6 & Up
Prebiotics $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.