Allergies or Coronavirus? How to Tell the Difference Between Seasonal Allergies & COVID-19 Symptoms by Sophia L. Thomas, DNP, APRN, FNP-BC, PPCNP-BC, FNAP, FAANP
Allergies are in full bloom. While coughing and the sniffles are nothing new to people who suffer perennially, the threat of coronavirus (COVID-19) has many people second-guessing their allergy symptoms and wondering if they’re really coming down with COVID-19. While there is overlap, here are some ways to tell the difference:
- Congestion is likely caused by allergies. Less than 5 percent of coronavirus patients experience sneezing or a runny nose.
- A fever is a sign of something more. Allergies almost never cause a fever, while nearly 90 percent of coronavirus patients have one.
- A dry cough is something to watch. A cough can signal allergies, the flu and coronavirus. Since 70 percent of coronavirus patients experience a cough, you’ll need to keep an eye on other symptoms.
- Shortness of breath is a red flag. Allergies can cause some shortness of breath, but if it’s severe or unlike symptoms you usually experience, talk to a health-care provider.
- Follow your instincts. Allergies can make you feel lousy, but they don’t cause aches, pains, fatigue and exhaustion, which are associated with the flu and coronavirus.
Warmer weather has brought an earlier spring, and with that, intense allergy symptoms that are compounding coronavirus confusion and anxiety. Before you hit the panic button, understand the differences, and when in doubt, call your health-care provider for guidance.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Allergy Medications $4 & Up
Thermometers $4 & Up
Hand Soap $1 & Up
Hand Sanitizer $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.