Personal Resilience: 5 Habits to Support Well-Being During Times of High Stress by Noreen Braman
People who deal best with times of high stress are often described as having high personal resilience. But resilience can be worn down, leaving us vulnerable to stress-related mental issues and physical issues. So, during difficult times, like the coronavirus pandemic, it is necessary to continue practicing well-being habits and techniques that support resilience.
- Mindfulness: Too often our mind is spending time thinking about the past or the future, and not enough time being in the present. During times of high stress, stop, close your eyes, take several deep breaths and focus your attention on where you are, and what you are doing, right this minute.
- Gratitude: There are days so difficult, that at night, you may only be grateful the day is over. However, spending a few minutes each day to find at least three things to be grateful about truly helps enhance well-being.
- Purpose: A clear sense of your purpose, or mission, in life contributes to both contentment with life and longevity. Even when events or responsibilities keep you from what gives you that sense of purpose, having that clear vision gives you strength to get through tough situations.
- Laughter: A social bonding skill that may have existed in humans before language, laughter benefits both the body and the mind. During stressful times, your “laughter reserve” helps your well-being, and the return of laughter signals healing and resilience.
- Happiness: The first four habits listed here contribute to your overall well-being, and emphasize the fact that you should not expect that happiness just “happens” to you. Times of joy, love, fulfillment and generosity all raise our happiness levels. Seeking those things, even in times of distress, keeps your resilience strong.
And sharing these habits with others helps both you and them!
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Gratitude Journals $6 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.