It’s OK to Not Be OK: 6 Mental Health Reminders Everyone Needs to Hear by Sophia L. Thomas, DNP, APRN, FNP-BC, PPCNP-BC, FNAP, FAANP
Mental health is a complicated equation. It’s the product of your emotional, psychological and social well-being, and it affects how you think, feel and act. Mental health problems are so common they outnumber most other risks for serious health conditions, but the feeling that “it’s not OK to not be OK” causes many to ignore symptoms.
Don’t be fooled by the silence! Here are six realities that everyone should understand:
- One in five adults experience a mental health condition each year.
- Mental health issues impact people of all races and ethnicities, but minorities have the hardest time accessing care.
- Anxiety disorders are the most common, affecting 40 million people each year.
- Just because you don’t hear about mental health problems, doesn’t mean people are not suffering. Less than half seek treatment, and minorities are the least likely to get help.
- Mental illness happens at any age. More than half occur by age 14.
- Highly successful people like Abe Lincoln, J.K. Rowling and Oprah Winfrey have openly dealt with mental health issues.
It’s OK to not be OK – most of us can relate! If you suspect you are suffering with mental health issues, talk to your nurse practitioner or health-care provider. To learn more, visit WeChooseNPS.org.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get inspiration in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Mental Health Resources $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.