Time Out for Nutrition: 7 Ways to Keep Super Bowl® Sunday a Little Healthier From a Nutrition Specialist by Donna John
Super Bowl® doesn’t mean only football – it means food, and lots of it! Dr. Adrienne Youdim, a physician nutrition specialist, has some easy tips for staying healthier during the game:
- Eat breakfast before heading off to the parties. Studies show that consuming at least 30 grams of protein at breakfast will suppress hunger hormones all day and curb snacking in the afternoon.
- Get a good night’s sleep the night before. Sleep deprivation causes hunger hormones to surge the next day, making it more difficult to control those cravings.
- Fill up on something green before the first quarter. Make a shake using kale, ginger, lemon, apple and a high-quality grass-fed whey protein. This will fill you up and there will be less room for the unhealthy appetizers.
- Bring your own dip to the party. You can create a great-tasting dip substituting non-fat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream or mayo. Add fresh herbs and spices to make it zesty and use fresh cut veggies like jicama, cucumbers, bell pepper. The dip will be just as thick and rich as the other way but with half the calories.
- Eat your greens! Fill up your plate with a steady stream of veggies and there won’t be any room on your plate for the bad stuff. Make your own dressings using yogurt, hummus or spicy mustard for a low-cal alternative to the 150-calories-per-serving ranch. And by the way, a serving of ranch is a lot smaller than you think it is.
- Make your own chips out of kale, beets, green bean or brussels sprouts. Bake in the oven instead of store bought, which is fried.
- Keep some peppermint gum in your pocket. The taste of peppermint will make some of the other goodies off putting and less tasty. And, it keeps your mouth moving without putting in the calories.
“In the end, if you are really craving a particularly not-so-good snack just eat it,” says Dr. Youdim. “Enjoy it. Don't over-indulge. And move on.”
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.