Fun Deep-Fried Musubi Recipe From "Lilo & Stitch: The Official Cookbook" by 30Seconds Food
Times may have been hard for Lilo and Nani, but that didn’t mean they couldn’t eat well. This tasty SPAM® dish is perfect for the duo on the go. Just leave it marinating and cook it up when you get home from a shift! For those who never thought a SPAM® musubi could be fancy, behold the deep-fried musubi!
This fun fried musubi recipe from Lilo and Stitch: The Official Cookbook is a fun recipe to make with the kids. SPAM® musubi can be served as a snack or for lunch or dinner. It's made with slices of SPAM® that's sandwiched between rice and wrapped together with nori. It's a popular dish in Hawaiian and a favorite of those loveable characters, Lilo and Stitch.
Looking for other creative ways to use this canned meat? Here are 15 other ways to use SPAM®!
Prep Time: 15 minutes, plus 1 hour for chilling
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes plus time to chill
Servings: 8 to 10
- 12 ounces SPAM®
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 8 - 10 eggs
- nori roasted seaweed, cut into halves or thirds
- 6 cups cooked Calrose rice
- 8 - 12 thin slices pickle
- paprika. for garnishing (optional)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup panko
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- canola or vegetable oil
- musubi mold (see link below)
Here's how to make it:
- To make the musubi, cut the SPAM® into 8 to 10 slices and place them in a large bowl. Add the oyster sauce, soy sauce, and brown sugar over the SPAM®. Let this mixture sit for about 15 minutes.
- In a medium frying pan over medium heat, fry the SPAM® on each side, until slightly crispy or until the SPAM® is at your desired crispiness level, about 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- Crack the eggs in a medium bowl and whisk until well combined. In the same pan you cooked the SPAM® in, add the eggs. Without stirring, cook the scrambled eggs over low to medium heat, about 3 minutes. The goal is to make them flat, not fluffy. When the eggs are done, cut them into the size of a SPAM® slice.
- Place one strip of nori on a clean work surface. Place your musubi mold across the middle of the nori. Add some rice to the mold, pressing down firmly and evenly, so there is about 1 to 11⁄2 inches of rice on top of the nori. (Note: To prevent sticking, dip the mold and your fingers in water as you go.)
- Remove the rice from the mold.
- Add a pickle slice on top of your musubi, or enough pickle to cover the surface of the rice. Then add a slice of the cooked SPAM® and a piece of scrambled egg to the top.
- Fold over side of the nori and stick it to the top of the SPAM®, then fold over the other side, just like you are wrapping a package for a friend. If needed, wet your finger with water to seal the nori. Refrigerate the musubi for 1 hour.
- To make the batter, in a medium bowl, combine the egg yolks and water. In a second medium bowl, combine the panko and flour. Take each musubi and dip each side in the egg wash bowl and then dip each side in the flour bowl.
- Heat the oil on medium-high until it boils. Place the musubis in the oil, a few at a time, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. (Note: Use tongs to flip so the musubi doesn’t fall apart.) Set the musubis aside and let sit on a paper towel to drain excess oil. 13. Slice each musubi in four equal pieces and sprinkle paprika, if desired.
Photos: Lilo and Stitch: The Official Cookbook
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Musubi Molds $7 & Up
SPAM® $3 & Up
Calrose Rice $5 & Up
Nori Roasted Seaweed $3 & Up
Oyster Sauce $3 & Up
Brown Sugar $3 & Up
Soy Sauce $3 & Up
Panko $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.