Quick Baked Sour Cream Mashed Potato Casserole Recipe: Oh. My. by 30Seconds Food
Potato casseroles come in so many varieties, shapes and sizes. From a loaded mashed potato casserole to Mexican potato casserole to Amish mashed potato casserole to funeral potatoes, there is a casserole made with potatoes to make everyone happy. This easy mashed potato casserole starts with basic sour cream mashed potatoes, but ends with baked cheesy goodness.
The mashed potatoes are made with boiled Yukon gold potatoes, butter, sour cream and whole milk or half and half. The potatoes are mashed and then spooned into a casserole dish. After topping the creamy mashed potatoes with cheddar cheese, they are baked for just a few minutes to melt the cheese.
You could use russet potatoes for this casserole recipe, but Yukon gold potatoes do have a special buttery flavor that adds a lot to the dish. The recipe calls for peeling the potatoes, but if you like the peel, leave it on. You could use other cheeses instead of cheddar like Gruyere, Swiss, Monterey Jack or provolone.
Serve this creamy baked potato casserole as a side dish with almost anything. This casserole travels well for potlucks, cookouts and family get-togethers.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 to 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 to 35 minutes
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup whole milk or half and half
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Here's how to make it:
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until just tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and return to pot. Over low heat, cook out the excess water.
- Add the butter, sour cream and milk. Over low heat, mash the potatoes until desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the potatoes into a shallow casserole dish. Top with the cheese. Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven until cheese has melted, about 5 minutes. Garnish with chopped parsley or fresh chives, if desired.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Casserole Dishes $8 & Up
Potato Cookbooks $5 & Up
Vegetable Peelers $5 & Up
Potato Mashers $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.