Buttery English Muffin Stuffing Recipe: Break Out of the Holiday Stuffing Rut by Food Lion
There’s nothing quite like enjoying a bite of flavorful stuffing with your turkey or ham dinner. With this holiday side dish recipe, you’ll be making a stuffing with all of the classic flavors, but with one unique ingredient that really makes it stand out: English muffins.
That’s right! This breakfast bread is a surprisingly perfect swap for the traditional stuffing mix ingredient. And here’s a tip: instead of using poultry seasoning, feel free to substitute 1/2 teaspoon each of dried thyme, dried sage and dried rosemary. Surprise your family this Christmas with this easy, unique stuffing recipe!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
- 6 English muffins, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (divided)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1 large rib celery, diced small
- 1 large apple, cored and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Here's how to make it:
- Spread the English muffins onto a rimmed baking sheet and bake in a preheated 300-degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until dried out.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion, celery, apple, kosher salt, black pepper and poultry seasoning. Sauté, stirring occasionally until the vegetables have softened, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg and chicken broth. Add the toasted English muffin pieces, vegetable mixture and the chopped parsley. Stir gently until combined. Increase the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Transfer the stuffing mixture to a 9x9-inch baking dish that's been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Dot the top with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
Photo: Food Lion
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.