Amazing Pesto, Peas & Spinach Lasagna Recipe: This Green Lasagna Recipe Rocks by Ann Marie Patitucci
As I understand it, lasagna is made with a variety of ingredients and in a variety of ways in different regions of Italy. Of course each region considers its style of lasagna to be the tastiest, classiest version of all.
Here in America we’re most familiar with a stuffed lasagna made with tomato sauce. (The differences – and the history – between Italian lasagna and American lasagna are for another time!). In the northwest part of Italy you’ll find a Ligurian green lasagna, layered with freshly made pesto, and not a tomato in sight.
My friend Sarah shared a pesto lasagna recipe on social media recently and I was drooling. One of my all-time favorite ingredients is pesto, but as it turns out the recipe is completely filled with green goodness: pesto, spinach, peas, basil and mint! Add in the mascarpone cheese and pine nuts, and what’s not to love?
Sarah graciously shared her photos with me as well as her family’s review: “Five stars and possibly my new favorite dish!” Who wants to try this recipe and make it YOUR new favorite dish?? It may not be an official Ligurian green lasagna, but I promise you it’s delicious! Serve with a salad and garlic bread.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 1/2 cups pesto (try this homemade pesto recipe)
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese (divided)
- 1 cup water
- 8 ounces spinach, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces frozen peas
- 1 pack (.5 ounces) basil, chopped (save a few leaves)
- 1 pack (.5 ounces) mint, chopped
- 12 fresh lasagna sheets
- 1/4 cup milk (approximately)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
Here’s how to make it:
- Place the pesto, 1/2 cup mascarpone and 1 cup water in a saucepan. Heat and stir until smooth and bubbling. Add spinach and peas. Cook for a few more minutes until the peas have thawed and the spinach has wilted. Add chopped basil and mint.
- Place a third of the pesto sauce into a lasagna dish. Top with 4 lasagna sheets, then repeat with 2 more layers of pesto sauce and lasagna sheets, finishing with a layer of lasagna sheets on top. Mix approximately 1/4 cup milk into the remaining mascarpone (enough to make a white sauce consistency), then pour over the top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and pine nuts.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree F oven for for 35 to 40 minutes until lasagna is golden brown on the top and bubbling around the edges. Sprinkle the reserved basil leaves over the top.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.