Pesto Lasagna Recipe: This Skillet Vegetable Lasagna Recipe Is Creamy, Crunchy & Craveable by Donna John
This is an amazing skillet lasagna recipe I recreated after making a similar one from a meal kit box. The easy pesto lasagna recipe is creamy and cheesy, but not too heavy. Perfect! If you can find them, I highly recommend using fresh pasta sheets for this vegetarian lasagna recipe. With fresh pasta you are able to bend it it up the sides of the skillet, creating those crunchy edges.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 to 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 to 40 minutes
Servings: 3 to 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 bag (5 ounces) baby spinach
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup half and half, heavy cream or milk (I used heavy cream)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup mascarpone
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1/2 pound fresh pasta sheets or 1 box no-boil lasagna noodles (I used fresh pasta sheets)
- 2 cups grated fresh mozzarella cheese or block mozzarella (I used balls of fresh mozzarella)
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the olive oil in a medium (10 to 12 inches) ovenproof skillet. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper. Remove to a small bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepot. Whisk in the flour and cook about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the water and heavy cream until smooth. Bring to a simmer, then remove from heat. Stir in the basil pesto and mascarpone until smooth. Season with a little black pepper.
- Put about 1/4 cup of the sauce on the bottom of the same ovenproof skillet you cooked the spinach in. Top with a single layer of noodles (if using fresh, bend them up the sides of the skillet). Add another 1/4 cup of the pesto sauce and then half the spinach, half the red peppers and half the mozzarella. Repeat with more lasagna noodles, 1/4 cup sauce and remaining spinach, red peppers and mozzarella.
- Add another layer of noodles and then end with the remaining pesto sauce. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 450-degree F oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until top is beginning to get golden. Let the lasagna rest a few minutes before cutting.
Note: If using pasta sheets, cut them into lasagna-size noodle pieces. You will need about 15 to 16 noodles. If using dried lasagna noodles from a box, you will need to break them in half (they don't have to be perfect size).
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.