Grandma's From-Scratch Baked Banana Pudding Recipe Is a Classic by Ann Marie Patitucci
This cooked banana pudding recipe requires ripe bananas and can be served warm or cool (I prefer cool, personally!). Once you taste this from-scratch version, you may never buy store-bought banana pudding again!
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Bake Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 8 to 10
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (divided)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups whole or 2% milk
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (try this homemade vanilla extract recipe)
- 3 1/3 cups vanilla wafers, plus more for serving
- 4 ripe bananas, cut into 1/2-inch slices
Here’s how to make it:
- In a bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt. In a saucepan, whisk together the sugar mixture, milk and 4 egg yolks until well blended. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 6 to 8 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Layer half the vanilla wafers in an 8-inch square baking dish. Top with half the banana slices and then half the pudding. Repeat the procedure with remaining wafers, banana slices and pudding.
- With an electric mixer, beat egg whites at high speed until foamy. Gradually add 3 tablespoons sugar, beating until sugar dissolves and stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes. Spread the meringue over pudding (spread to the edge of the dish).
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for 7 to 9 minutes or until golden. Let cool 30 minutes and serve warm, or chill an additional hour and serve cold. Serve in a dessert dish with a vanilla wafer on top of each.
- The banana pudding will get thicker as it cools.
- You could assemble the banana pudding in small ramekins for individual desserts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
8x8-inch Baking Pans $8 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Cornstarch $2 & Up
Vanilla Extract $4 & Up
Vanilla Wafers $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.