Chicken Machboos Recipe: Middle Eastern Spiced Chicken & Rice Recipe Is So Aromatic by 30Seconds Food
Chicken Machboos, or Machboos ala Dajaj (spiced chicken and rice), is considered the national dish of Bahrain. Bahrain, officially the Kingdom of Bahrain, is an island country in Western Asia. Some of the key ingredients in Chicken Machboos is skin-on chicken, rice, lime and ghee, or clarified butter.
This chicken and rice recipe is loaded with aromatic spices. The raisins add a sweetness to the dish and the lime adds just the right amount of tartness. Like biryani? Then you're going to love Chicken Machboos.
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
Chicken and Rice
- 4 large chicken thighs or chicken legs
- 4 tablespoons ghee or olive oil (divided)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 star anise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 6 cardamom pods, pierced with a knife
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 6 tablespoons raisins
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Combine all the spices in a small bowl. Sprinkle the chicken with a little of the spice mix. Set aside remaining spice mix.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the ghee or olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown on all sides. Remove to a plate.
- Add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, remaining spice mix, cinnamon sticks, star anise (if using) cardamom and lime juice. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, tomato and raisins. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Put the chicken back into the pan. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook about 15 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks (discard) and put the chicken back onto a plate. Add the rice, cover and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Once it has evaporated, reduce heat to low and cook another 15 minutes.
- While the rice cooks, heat the remaining olive oil in another skillet. Add the chicken and cook to brown and crisp the skin, about 5 minutes.
- To serve, pile the rice on a plate and top with the chicken. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.