New Orleans Debris Sandwich Recipe: This Roast Beef Po'boy Is a Party in Your Mouth by 30Seconds Food
Debris sandwiches are a New Orleans thing. The "debris" is shredded roast beef that's soaked in the pan drippings. The roast beef po'boy is known for fall-apart tender beef and whatever other toppings you'd like to invite to the party.
This New Orleans debris sandwich recipe starts with a chuck roast that's cooked in the oven. The pan drippings are reduced, the beef shredded and then the two meet again to make magic. Serve this amazing sandwich recipe for dinner or lunch. And don't forget the napkins!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 3 1/2 hours
Total Time: 3 hours and 40 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 boneless chuck roast (about 4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (or to taste)
- French bread or your favorite sandwich bread
Optional Sandwich Toppings
- caramelized onions or sliced raw onion
- shredded lettuce
- sliced tomato
Here's how to make it:
- Season the beef all over with salt and pepper, to taste, and the garlic powder. Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the roast and brown on all sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and thyme. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Put the roast back into the pot. Spoon the sauce all over the roast.
- Cover and bake in a preheated 325-degree F oven for about 3 hours or until beef is fork tender. Remove the roast from the pot and set aside.
- Measure 1 1/2 cups of the cooking liquid (discard the rest). Bring to a simmer and reduce by half.
- Shred the beef and return to the pot. Taste and add more salt, pepper and hot sauce, if needed.
- Add desired sandwich filings to the bread, then pile on the meat.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Dutch Oven $10 & Up
Garlic Powder $3 & Up
Tomato Paste $1 & Up
Dried Thyme $3 & Up
Worcestershire Sauce $3 & Up
Hot Sauce $1 & Up
Beef Broth $2 & Up
Vegetable Oil $2 & Up
Mayonnaise $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.