Quick Baby Turnips Recipe With Browned Butter Turns Up the Flavor by Donna John
Growing up, we ate healthy turnips all the time. My mom would cut them up, boil them and add butter, salt and pepper. Simple and delicious. (Here's our southern buttered turnips recipe.) This is the only way I cooked them, too, until I tried air fryer turnips. With turnips growing in my garden, I decided I needed a few more turnip recipes in my recipe box. Last night, this baby turnips with brown butter recipe was born.
The baby turnips are tender and silky on the inside, golden on the outside, and the browned butter adds a richness and nuttiness. This vegetable recipe will definitely be filed away with my other favorite recipes.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 2 to 4
- baby or very small turnips, ends removed and scrubbed
- parsley flakes (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Put the trimmed and scrubbed turnips into a saucepot of boiling water. Boil until tender, about 10 minutes depending on size. Drain.
- Add enough butter to cover the bottom of the pot (I used about 2 tablespoons). Place the turnips into the pot on one cut end. Cook over medium heat without disturbing until golden brown on the bottom, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Flip them over and do the same to the other side.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, pepper and parsley flakes, if using.
Note: If you can't find very small turnips, you could cut larger turnips into chunks and cook them the same way.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.