Crispy Thai Fried Chicken Recipe (Hat Yai) Is an Explosion of Flavors by Ann Marie Patitucci
Looking for something new to add to your dinner rotation? Look no further! My husband laughs at me when I say I love Thai food because I only eat a couple of basic things on a Thai menu. I know what I like and I’m happy to order it over and over. But I’m working on being a more adventurous eater. Here’s a good example.
This is a great Thai fried chicken recipe. It’s not something I’ve ever ordered at a restaurant and it’s easy enough for me to make myself at home. The best part? It’s on the table in 30 minutes. It’s a perfect dinner for a busy weeknight. Serve with sweet chili sauce and rice.
Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 4 hours minimum to marinate
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes plus 4 hours minimum to marinate
Servings: 4 to 6
- 2 pounds chicken (drumsticks, thighs, breasts or cut-up chicken pieces), patted dry with paper towels
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and pounded
- 2 tablespoons cilantro roots (or cilantro stems, without the leaves)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- vegetable oil, for frying
Here's how to make it:
- Use a mini food processor or mortar and pestle to blend garlic, cilantro roots and salt until they form a fine paste. Add the paste, fish sauce, oyster sauce and black pepper to the chicken and mix well. Transfer the chicken into a large plastic storage bag or bowl and marinate in the refrigerator from 4 hours to overnight (the longer the better).
- After marinating, heat up cooking oil in a pot or a deep fryer. While waiting for the oil to heat, mix the three types of flour together in a new plastic storage bag. Add the chicken and coat evenly with the flour mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Drop the chicken gently into the oil and deep fry it. Fry until chicken is cooked and juicy inside and crispy and golden brown outside (internal temperature 165 degrees F). Transfer fried chicken onto a plate lined with paper towels to soak up the excess oil. Serve immediately.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Thai Cookbooks $5 & Up
Skillets $10 & Up
Deep Fryers $20 & Up
Fish Sauce $3 & Up
Oyster Sauce $3 & Up
Vegetable Oil $2 & Up
All-Purpose Flour $2 & Up
Rice Flour $5 & Up
Cornstarch $2 & Up
Mini Food Processors $20 & Up
Mortar and Pestle $10 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.