Oklahoma Fried Onion Burger Recipe: The Ultimate Smashed Cheeseburger Recipe by Donna John
An Oklahoma burger? Being from Texas, I wasn't too sure about it. But wow! People in Oklahoma know how to eat a burger! Oklahoma-style onion burgers are smashed burgers with caramelized fried onions. They're usually just dressed with a slice of American cheese and dill pickles. Uh, yum.
My Oklahoma onion burger recipe also has a fresh-made burger sauce that's drizzled over the meat, cheese and onions. I changed things up a bit like Melissa Vickers does on her recipes and used grated cheddar cheese instead of American cheese. And because it's hard for me to eat a burger without lettuce and tomatoes, I added that as well – and a few slices of fresh red onion. This smashed burger recipe was the best meal of the week – so far!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 to 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 to 25 minutes
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 cup ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dill pickle juice
- ground cayenne, to taste
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced into thin rounds
- 4 slices American cheese (I used grated cheddar cheese)
- dill pickles
- 4 hamburger buns
- You could use ground turkey instead of ground beef.
- Add whatever burger toppings you enjoy. For some spice, add some sliced jalapenos.
Here's how to make it:
- Stir together all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Shape the ground beef into four patties. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet (I used cast iron). Add the onions and season with a little salt and pepper. Stir to coat with the oil, then push together to form four "piles."
- Put a burger on top of each pile of onions. Push down with a spatula.
- Cook until well browned on the bottom, about 5 minutes.
- Carefully flip the burgers and onions over and continue to cook until desired doneness.
- Add the cheese and cook until melted.
- Put the burger and onions on the bottom of a hamburger bun. Top with the burger sauce and pickles. Add any other toppings you desire. Eat while hot!
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 20.4g
Saturated Fat: 7.2g
Total Carbohydrate: 31g
Dietary Fiber: 1.5g
Total Sugars: 8.1g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.