Homemade Hoisin Sauce Recipe Is Ready in Less Than 10 Minutes by Melissa Vickers
Hoisin sauce is another one of those all-purpose sauces that can be used in many dishes – anything you want a little bit of sweetness to. This homemade hoisin sauce recipe is kind of like teriyaki sauce, only it uses peanut butter instead of the more traditional bean paste, and molasses.
Make this hoisin sauce recipe hot and spicy if you like. It cooks up in less than 10 minutes, including prep time! Use the sauce as a marinade, dip or sauce for stir fry recipes. This recipe makes enough to coat 1 pound of meat and roughly 1 pound of vegetables. Store the sauce in the refrigerator for one to two weeks. Stir before using.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 8 minutes
Servings: Makes about 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, Sriracha or chili paste (I don’t use this because we don’t like the heat)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons water
Here’s how to make it:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine all ingredients except cornstarch. Heat until molasses and peanut butter have dissolved.
- In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch and water until cornstarch has dissolved.
- Increase heat to medium-high and whisk in the cornstarch mixture. Simmer until it begins to thicken, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. (It will continue to thicken as it cools.)
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Molasses $4 & Up
Soy Sauce $3 & Up
Creamy Peanut Butter $2 & Up
Rice Vinegar $3 & Up
White Wine Vinegar $2 & Up
Garlic Powder $3 & Up
Cornstarch $1 & Up
Sriracha $2 & Up
Hot Sauce $2 & Up
Chili Paste $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.