Family Tradition Onionelles Recipe: A Tasty 4-Ingredient Appetizer From Naomi Judd by Donna John
The news of Naomi Judd's passing due to suicide hit many hard, including myself. The Judds music has been a part of my life since they first hit the music scene. Naomi's Home Companion cookbook is a part of my cookbook collection, so I knew it needed to be taken off the shelf and some recipes from it made.
This onionelles recipe is included in the "tradition" chapter of the cookbook. Being into nutrition and health, Naomi wrote this as the introduction to this appetizer recipe: "The top 10 anti-aging veggies and fruits (in alphabetical order) are: avocado, berries, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, citrus fruits, grapes, onions, spinach and tomatoes."
These onionelles surprised me. With Parmesan, onion and bread (with mayo!), I knew it would be good. What I didn't expect was for it to be so good. The creaminess of the mayonnaise and Parmesan complement the crispy bread and soft, sweet onion perfectly. If I had started making this recipe when the book was first published in 1997, it would have been a family tradition at my house, too. Starting my tradition now, and will remember Naomi with each bite.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Total Time: 12 minutes
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or mayonnaise-style creamy salad dressing (regular, reduced fat or nonfat)
- 4 slices good-quality wheat bread, crusts removed (I used sourdough)
- 16 very thin slices Vidalia or other sweet onion (I used a Texas 1015)
Here's how to make it:
- Preheat the broiler. In a small bowl, mix together the cheese and mayonnaise.
- Spread evenly onto the bread slices. Cut each into four equal pieces.
- Place an onion slice on each piece of bread.
- Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat until browned, about 2 minutes. Serve hot.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.