Crispy German Baked Chicken Recipe (Hähnchenkeulen): No, It's Not Burnt by Donna John
Hähnchenkeulen is a crispy German chicken recipe that has a flavorful sauce made with curry, paprika and other spices. This baked chicken was super easy to prepare, tender, crispy, juicy and packed with flavor.
When I first saw the finished product, I honesty thought I had burned it. But no! The seasoning blend darkens as it cooks, taking on a deep flavor. The taste of this crispy baked chicken was truly unique.
To make this German-style baked chicken you need bone-in chicken pieces, olive oil, sweet paprika, regular paprika, curry powder, garlic powder, dried or fresh rosemary, ketchup and honey. The seasoning blend is stirred together and then rubbed all over the chicken. The seasoned chicken is then baked in the oven until cooked through and crispy.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 to 45 minutes
Total Time: 40 to 50 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 6 - 10 bone-in chicken pieces (I used leg quarters)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika or ground cayenne, to taste (I used paprika)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or dried rosemary (I used fresh)
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon honey
Here's how to make it:
- Combine all the seasoning blend ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Put the chicken into a baking pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Rub the chicken all over with the seasoning blend.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree F oven for about 35 to 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. (I basted it occasionally with the pan drippings.)
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.