Easy Reuben Casserole Recipe: Reuben Sandwich Lovers May Need to Sit Down for This by Melissa Vickers
When you think about a Reuben sandwiches, what flavors come to mind? Traditionally the meat is corned beef, but it doesn’t have to be. I substitute deli turkey breast and still find that the distinctive blend of Swiss cheese, thousand island dressing and the tangy sauerkraut served on rye bread still screams REUBEN!
This easy Reuben casserole recipe combines those flavors, substituting crescent rolls for the bread, and serves it all up in a casserole dish. It's ready for company or family in about 40 minutes.
Fun Fact: The Reuben sandwich was invented in Omaha, Nebraska, in 1925.
Cuisine: German / American
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls (or the crescent dough sheets if you can find them)
- 1 pound sliced Swiss cheese
- 1 1/4 pounds sliced deli corned beef or roast turkey breast
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2/3 cup thousand island salad dressing
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 3 teaspoons caraway seeds
Here’s how to make it:
- Unroll one tube of crescent dough into one long rectangle; seal seams and perforations (unless you have the dough sheets). Press onto the bottom of a greased 13x9-inch baking pan. Bake in a preheated 375-degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Layer with half of the cheese and all of the meat.
- Combine sauerkraut and salad dressing. Spread the mixture over beef. Top with remaining cheese.
- On a lightly floured surface, press or roll second tube of crescent dough into a 13x9-inch rectangle, sealing seams and perforations. Place over cheese. Brush with egg white and sprinkle with caraway seeds.
- Bake for 12 to 16 minutes or until heated through and crust is golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Sauerkraut $2 & Up
Caraway Seeds $3 & Up
Thousand Island Dressing $2 & Up
13x9-inch Baking Pans $8 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.