This Moist Amish Sauerkraut Meatloaf Recipe Is Kind of Amazing by 30Seconds Food
Sauerkraut is a fermented food we should add into our healthy diets. Sauerkraut has some surprising health benefits, so why not add some to your meatloaf like the Amish do? This Amish sauerkraut meatloaf recipe has two kinds of meat and other flavorful ingredients that produces a moist meatloaf. It is kind of amazing how much flavor and moisture the sauerkraut adds to this meatloaf recipe.
The easy sauerkraut meatloaf recipe is made with rye breadcrumbs, a can of sauerkraut, onions, garlic, butter, eggs, milk, mustard, salt, dried thyme, ground beef and bulk sausage. The mixture is baked for about one hour before being topping with a mixture of ketchup and brown sugar. So must flavor in so little time!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
- 2 cups rye breadcrumbs
- 1 can (16 ounces) sauerkraut
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound bulk sausage
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Salt and Pepper
- Baking Dishes
- Rubber Spatula
- Mixing Bowl
- Loaf Pan
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
- If you don't like rye bread, use whatever bread you do like for the breadcrumbs.
- You can use whatever type of sausage you enjoy, too. From pork roll breakfast sausage to mild, sweet or hot Italian sausage.
- To make breadcrumbs, use a food processor or grate them on a cheese grater.
- If you don't want to use sausage, use 2 pounds of ground beef.
Here's how to make it:
- Combine the ketchup and brown sugar. Set aside.
- Cook the onion and garlic in the butter until soft.
- Put all the meatloaf ingredients into a large bowl. Mix together.
- Form the meat into a loaf in a loaf pan or casserole dish.
- Bake in a preheated 375-degree F oven for about 1 hour. After 40 minutes baste with the ketchup and brown sugar mixture.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 31.1g
Saturated Fat: 10.7g
Total Carbohydrate: 31.3g
Dietary Fiber: 3.2g
Total Sugars: 20g
Vitamin D: 7mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.