Easy Carrot Cake Roll Recipe: A Delicious Twist on a Classic Easter Dessert Recipe by Ann Marie G.H. Patitucci
Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 1 hour to chill
Cook Time: 10 to 13 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 45 minutes (approximately)
Servings: Makes 1 cake
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrots, loosely packed into measuring cup
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cold
- 1 stick butter (8 tablespoons), at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Here's how to make it:
- Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Spray a little cooking spray on the pan to help the paper stick to the pan and stay in place.
- Make carrot cake by combining flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Beat in sugar, oil and vanilla.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients, until almost fully combined.
- Fold in carrots. Spread batter evenly onto prepared pan.
- Bake in a preheated 375-degreee F oven for 10 to 13 minutes. A toothpick will come out clean from center of cake when done. Immediately roll cake from short end to short end inside the parchment paper. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Make cream cheese frosting by placing cream cheese in a large bowl and beating until smooth. Add butter 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and then mix until combined.
- Carefully unroll the cake. (If it's still warm, leave it unrolled for a few extra minutes to release any excess steam/heat. It’s OK if it cracks a little; just be gentle.) Spread frosting evenly on all but 1 inch of the end you will be rolling toward.
- Re-roll the cake, starting with the frosted end. Roll and tuck the cake as tightly as you can, working your way toward the unfrosted edge. Loosen and remove the parchment paper as you go. Discard the parchment paper when you finish rolling.
- Wrap the whole cake roll with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator or freezer for 1 hour or more. (I recommend freezing.)
- Use a hot knife to cut the cake roll (while still frozen/cold) by running the knife under hot water first. (You can dry the knife, recommended if not frozen, or leave it wet.) Thawing will take approximately 20 to 30 minutes at room temperature. If desired, add edible Easter cake decorations before serving.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Jelly Roll Pans $9 & Up
Parchment Paper $3 & Up
All Purpose Flour $2 & Up
Baking Powder $2 & Up
Baking Soda $1 & Up
Ground Cinnamon $2 & Up
Ground Nutmeg $4 & Up
Ground Ginger $4 & Up
Ground Cloves $4 & Up
Sugar $2 & Up
Vegetable Oil $2 & Up
Vanilla Extract $4 & Up
Powdered Sugar $2 & Up
Edible Easter Decorations $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.