Creamy Croatian Mushroom Soup Recipe With Bacon: Savory Soup From the Dalmatian Coast by 30Seconds Food
Croatia is a beautiful European country on the Adriatic Sea known for its breathtaking Dalmatian Coast. According to travel expert Rick Steves, "Of Croatia's 3,600 miles of glimmering coastline, the most famous (and touristed) stretch is its southernmost region: the Dalmatian Coast. Paralleling it are the rugged Dinaric Alps, whose geology helps make for remarkably clear seawater and hundreds of craggy islands (the most appealing are Hvar and Korčula). Here you'll find Croatia's top tourist town, Dubrovnik, and the big city of Split, with its impressive Roman ruins."
Equally exquisite is Croatian cuisine. From seafood to soups, you'll find plenty of Old World goodness. Croatian mushroom soup is a creamy soup made with dried mushrooms and bacon. In Croatia, wild mushrooms ("vrganj" in Croatian) are often used, but you can use whatever dried mushrooms you can find. In addition to the mushrooms, you will need the following ingredients: bacon, onion, flour, marjoram, paprika, potato, water, parsley, sour cream and vinegar.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Cuisine: Croatian / European
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
- 3 - 4 slices bacon, chopped small
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 cups dried mushrooms, soaked in hot water for about 10 minutes and drained
- 1 large potato, cut into cubes
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- If you can't find dried mushrooms, you can use your favorite type of mushrooms for this recipe.
- You can use sour cream or heavy whipping cream, if you prefer.
- To make this soup gluten-free, use gluten-free flour.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight food storage container in the refrigerator.
Here's how to make it:
- Cook the bacon and onion in a large soup pot until soft.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, until flour starts turning light brown.
- Add the paprika and marjoram. Cook about 30 seconds.
- Add the mushrooms, potato and water. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and gently simmer about 1 hour. (You can add more water, if needed.)
- Stir in the parsley, vinegar and sour cream. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 19.8g
Saturated Fat: 8.3g
Total Carbohydrate: 16.1g
Dietary Fiber: 2.2g
Total Sugars: 2.2g
Vitamin D: 95mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.