Grandma's Moist Southern Strawberry Cake Recipe Is Old-fashioned Goodness by 30Seconds Food
Strawberry cakes are a southern thing. It's most likely your grandma had a strawberry cake recipe in her arsenal if you grew up down south. And like anything, every grandma (and mom) made their cakes just a little bit different.
This easy strawberry cake recipe starts with a box cake mix, then fresh strawberries are added along with strawberry gelatin. The white cake mix is mixed with strawberry gelatin, sugar, flour, water, oil, eggs and fresh chopped strawberries. The creamy strawberry frosting is a simple combination of butter, mashed strawberries and powdered sugar. Garnish with more strawberries and it is sweet strawberry overload!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 to 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 to 45 minutes
- 1 box (16 ounces) white cake mix
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup mashed strawberries
- 5 cups powdered sugar (or as needed)
- chopped fresh strawberries
- Try this moist cake with other flavors of gelatin and berries.
- Store the cake in an airtight container.
Here's how to make it:
- Combine the cake mix, gelatin, sugar and flour in a bowl. Whisk to combine. Add the water, oil and eggs. Beat for about 2 minutes with an electric mixer. Fold in the strawberries.
- Pour the batter into two 8-inch round cake pans lined with parchment paper and sprayed with nonstick baking spray.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pans for about 10 minutes before removing to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter until creamy. Add the mashed strawberries. Slowly start adding the powdered sugar until desired consistency is achieved (you may not need all the powdered sugar).
- Add a layer of the frosting on top of one of the cakes. Top with the second cake. Frost the entire cake. Garnish with fresh strawberries.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 21.7g
Saturated Fat: 7.5g
Total Carbohydrate: 90.6g
Dietary Fiber: 0.8g
Total Sugars: 78.9g
Vitamin D: 8mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.