Easy Brunswick Stew Recipe: This Hearty Southern Stew Recipe Has Two States Fighting Over It by 30Seconds Food
Virginia and Georgia have a long-time feud over which state is the home of Brunswick stew. In Brunswick County, Va., there's an annual "stew-off," and in Brunswick, Ga., the state displays a cast-iron pot that apparently cooked the first batch of Brunswick stew in 1898. So what's all the fuss about? What is Brunswick stew?
Brunswick stew is a Southern stew recipe made with a tomato and barbecue broth, beans, corn and meat. Back in the day, it was made with squirrel, rabbit or game meat. This easy Brunswick stew recipe is made with pork, but you could use chicken instead or a combination of both. Serve with crusty bread.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Servings: 10 to 12
- 1 stick butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 boxes (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 bag (16 ounces) frozen corn
- 1 bag (16 ounces) frozen butter beans or lima beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce (vinegar-based barbecue sauce works best)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups chopped leftover cooked pork (you could substitute cooked shredded chicken)
Here's how to make it:
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Add the onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until tender, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the broth, crushed tomatoes, corn, beans, tomato sauce, barbecue sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and cook about 30 minutes.
- Add the pork. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for another 20 to 30 minutes.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Chicken Broth $2 & Up
Barbecue Sauce $1 & Up
Worcestershire Sauce $2 & Up
Crushed Tomatoes $2 & Up
Tomato Sauce $1 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.