Brazilian Black Bean Stew Recipe (Feijoada) Is a Meat Lover's Dream by Donna John
Feijoada (black bean stew) is the national dish of Brazil – and is especially popular in Rio de Janeiro. This thick, rich bean stew is also popular in Portugal and other countries, and for good reason: it's a hearty and delicious dish to warm up your whole family.
Here’s an easy, gluten-free feijoada recipe that will please your meat and soup lovers. The feijoada is made with thick bacon, sausage, ham (yes, three meats!), black beans, onion, garlic, peppers, thyme and bay leaves. The stew simmers on the stove for about 1 1/2 hours before being ladled into bowls over rice.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours to 1 hour and 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
- 1 pound slab bacon, cut into chunks
- 1 pound andouille or smoked sausage, cut into chunks
- 1/2 pound ham, cut into chunks
- 1 pound dried black beans, sorted and rinsed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 2 hot chile peppers (jalapeno or serrano work well)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups water
- Brazil Cookbooks
- Soup Pot
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Soup Bowls
- Salt and Pepper
- Dutch Oven
- This soup gets even better the next day.
- If you can find serrano ham, it is traditional in this stew.
- You can cook black beans with or without soaking. But if you prefer to soak your beans so they cook faster, do so according to package directions.
Here's how to make it:
- Fry the bacon in a Dutch oven until crisp. Remove the bacon and set aside.
- To the same pot, add the onion, garlic and whole chile peppers. Cook over low heat until soft, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the beans, bacon, ham, sausage, thyme, water and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on low heat until beans are almost tender, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid and continue to cook about 30 to 45 more minutes until beans are tender and broth has thickened.
- Remove the bay leaves and thyme before serving with the white rice.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 43.1g
Saturated Fat: 14g
Total Carbohydrate: 39.3g
Dietary Fiber: 9.4g
Total Sugars: 1.9g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.