Easy Takoraisu Recipe: This Delish Okinawan Taco Rice Recipe Has an Interesting History by 30Seconds Food
When you think of taco rice, you probably think Mexican or Tex-Mex, but this taco rice recipe is from Japan. Really! Takoraisu rice originated in Okinawa, an island south of Japan, where the U.S. military made it popular in the 1960s. Try this interesting, flavorful rice recipe on your family tonight.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 3 cups cooked Japanese short-grain rice
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomato
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add the chili powder and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, soy sauce and sake. Cook until absorbed into the meat, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- To serve, put rice into four bowls. Add the ground beef mixture and desired toppings.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.