Polish Sandwich Recipe (Zapiekanka): Classic Polish Street Food in 15 Minutes by 30Seconds Food
Whether you call it a pizza or open-faced sandwich, the ingredients, prep and cooking are easy. Start by cooking mushrooms and onions together in butter until soft. Top the sliced bread with the tender vegetables and sprinkle with grated gouda cheese (or your favorite cheese). Bake the zapiekanka until bread is toasted and cheese has melted. Drizzle with ketchup and get ready to impress your family with this global recipe!
There are variations of the Polish street food, and other toppings can be added like ham or pickles. Traditionally, the finished zapiekanka is drizzled with ketchup and served hot. Try this easy zapiekanka recipe tonight for dinner.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 2 to 4
- 1 baguette, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 1/2 small white onion, sliced
- 3 cups grated gouda cheese (you could use mild cheddar or a combination)
- ketchup, for serving
Here's how to make it:
- Melt the butter in a skillet. Add the mushrooms and onions and cook until soft, about 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay the baguette halves onto a baking sheet. Top with the mushrooms and onions. Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven until bread is toasted and cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.
- Drizzle with ketchup, if desired, before serving.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.