Broccoli al Vapore Recipe With Cream Sauce: Crave-Worthy Baked Broccoli With Parmesan Sauce by Donna John
A local Italian restaurant in my small town makes the most amazing broccoli recipe. They call it broccoli al vapore (translation: steamed) with cream sauce. I call it so good, I almost forget to eat my manicotti. The broccoli dish is a succulent side dish that's so delicious, it should be the main course for dinner.
This is a simple version of their broccoli al vapore that I make at home now. It is close to their amazing Italian recipe, but not as complex. The waitress told me they use three cheeses in their sauce, but that was it. No more details. But believe me, I am still working on trying to get the crave-worthy broccoli recipe. Patience, grasshopper...
This steamed broccoli with Parmesan cream sauce only takes 15 minutes to make. First the broccoli is steamed, then covered in a homemade Parmesan sauce and baked. It's creamy, cheesy and the perfect side dish for chicken, pork, beef or any pasta recipe.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more the top
- pinch of nutmeg
Here's how to make it:
- Steam the broccoli about 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp tender.
- In a saucepot, whisk together the flour and milk until smooth. Cook over medium-low heat until thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the broccoli into a shallow baking dish or individual serving dishes. Spoon the Parmesan sauce over the broccoli. Pop under the broiler for about 1 minute just to get a very light brown. Sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.