Mom's Meatloaf Recipe With Caramelized Onions & Brown Gravy by 30Seconds Food
This moist ground beef meatloaf recipe is full of sweet caramelized onions and topped with a rich brown gravy. A meatloaf recipe like mom and grandma used to make!
This meatloaf has a few more ingredients that add even more flavor to the meat, like dried thyme, broth and tomato paste. The onions are first cook until caramelized with the fresh garlic. The tomato paste, dried thyme, Worcestershire sauce and broth are added to the onions and then the mixture is cooled. Once cool, it is mixed with the ground beef along with the breadcrumbs and eggs. Put it into a loaf pan or shape into a loaf in a baking dish and bake about 50 minutes. While the meatloaf bakes in the oven, make the gravy with the beef broth, garlic powder, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, water and cornstarch. Serve the rich brown gravy over the sliced meatloaf.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or beef broth
- 3/4 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Salt and Pepper
- Loaf Pans
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
- If you don't want to make homemade brown gravy, you can use a brown gravy mix. No worries! It'll still be a delicious beef dinner.
- To reduce the sodium in this meatloaf recipe, use low-salt gravy mixes and low-sodium broth.
- Use the leftovers for meatloaf sandwiches.
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook until caramelized, stirring often, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato paste, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and broth. Bring to a simmer and cook until reduced by half, about 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool slightly.
- Add the onion mixture to the ground beef, eggs and breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Put the mixture into a loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 45 to 50 minutes.
- While the meatloaf cooks, make the gravy. Bring the beef broth to a boil in a saucepot. Whisk in the garlic powder, onion powder and Worcestershire sauce. Combine the cornstarch and water to make a slurry. Whisk it into the gravy. Cook until it thickens, about 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the gravy over the sliced meatloaf.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 8.7g
Saturated Fat: 2.4g
Total Carbohydrate: 51.4g
Dietary Fiber: 2.5g
Total Sugars: 13.6g
Vitamin D: 12mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.