Popeye's Fried Chicken Copycat Recipe: Love That Chicken From Popeyes at Home by 30Seconds Food
Who doesn't love that crispy, spicy fried chicken from Popeye's? It's hot, crispy, spicy, juicy, flavorful. But instead of sitting in line waiting to order it, why not just make it at home? This crispy fried chicken recipe tastes just like what the fast-food restaurant makes, and for a lot less money out of your pocket.
You do need to marinate the chicken overnight, so plan ahead when making this easy copycat Popeye's fried chicken recipe. Serve with red beans and rice or dirty rice and cole slaw for the full fried chicken meal experience. If you have any leftovers, remove the chicken from the bone and make chicken salad. You will not be sorry.
Prep Time: 10 minutes plus overnight to marinate
Cook Time: 20 to 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 to 40 minutes plus time to marinate
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- peanut oil, for frying
Here's how to make it:
- Combine the marinade ingredients. Put the chicken pieces into the marinade and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to cook, combine the eggs, water and hot sauce in a bowl. In another bowl, combine the flour, salt, cayenne, pepper, paprika and garlic powder.
- Heat about 2 to 3 inches of oil in a large, deep skillet to 325 degrees F (medium-high heat). Remove the chicken from the marinade, then dip into the egg mixture and then into the flour mixture. Repeat the egg mixture and then flour mixture, then put the chicken into the hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 8 to 12 minutes. Internal temperature should be 165 degrees F. Drain on paper towels. You can keep the chicken in the oven on a low temp while you cook the remaining pieces.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.