Amish Cabbage Rolls Recipe: Skillet Cabbages Rolls Are an Old-fashioned Mennonite Recipe by 30Seconds Food
Unlike most cabbage roll recipes, this one from the Pennsylvania Dutch country includes a step of browning the rolls in oil before simmering. Genius! These Amish cabbage rolls are sure to please and become a family fave.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 25 minutes
- 12 large green cabbage leaves
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Here's how to make it:
- Soak the cabbage leaves in boiling water until limp, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, rice, onion and egg. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture between the cabbage leaves. Roll up tightly and secure with toothpicks, if needed.
- Heat the oil in a skillet with a lid. Add the cabbages rolls and lightly brown on both sides, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Combine the tomato sauce, water, sugar and lemon juice. Pour the mixture over the cabbage rolls. Cover and simmer gently for about 1 hour.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.