Pappardelle With Chicken, Peas & Fennel Recipe: This Light Pasta Ragù Recipe Is Worth the Effort by 30Seconds Food
Fennel may not be a vegetable/herb many of us cook with often, but maybe we should start. Both parts of the plant are used – the licorice-tasting bulb and the fronds. This pappardelle ragù recipe with chicken, fennel and peas may take a little time, but it's definitely worth it.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 60 to 70 minutes
Total Time: 65 to 75 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1 pound)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk or half and half
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 package (12 ounces) pappardelle, cooked according to package directions (save about 1 cup of the cooking water)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fennel fronds, for garnish
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook in the hot oil until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Add the onion and chopped fennel and cook until soft, about 7 minutes. Add the thyme and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the wine and stir. Simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Put the chicken back into the pan. Add the water and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 35 to 45 minutes, adding a little more water if needed.
- Remove the chicken once it's cooked. Cool a bit, then remove the chicken off the bones and shred.
- Add the milk and cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the peas and return the chicken to the pan. Stir.
- Add the cooked pasta, butter, Parmesan cheese and some of the pasta water, if needed. Cook until heated through. Garnish with the chopped fennel fronds.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.