The Best Yakitori (焼き鳥) Recipe: Grilled & Glazed Japanese Chicken Yakitori Recipe by 30Seconds Food
Yakitori is simply Japanese chicken kebabs. This easy yakitori recipe starts with a flavorful sauce that's also used to baste the chicken while it cooks. The result is moist chicken skewers full of Asian flavors.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 16 to 19 minutes
Total Time: 26 to 29 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8
- 2/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 pounds boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- sesame seeds or chopped green onions, for garnish
Here's how to make it:
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a saucepot. Bring the mixture to a boil, whisking, and cook about 1 minute. Remove 1 cup of the sauce to a bowl to use as a baste. Set aside the remaining sauce.
- Thread the chicken onto skewers. (If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes first so they don't burn.) Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium heat. Add the chicken and cook for about 3 minutes on the first side. Turn them over and baste with the sauce. Cook about 3 minutes more. Continue flipping and basting until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes more. Garnish with chopped green onions or sesame seeds. Serve with remaining sauce for dipping.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Grills $30 & Up
Grill Pans $10 & Up
Mirin $4 & Up
Low Sodium Soy Sauce $3 & Up
Red Wine Vinegar $3 & Up
Brown Sugar $3 & Up
Cornstarch $2 & Up
Sesame Seeds $3 & Up
Wooden Skewers $4 & Up
Metal Skewers $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.