The Best Yakitori (焼き鳥) Recipe: Grilled & Glazed Japanese Chicken Yakitori Recipe by 30Seconds Food
Yakitori is simply Japanese chicken kebabs. This easy yakitori recipe starts with a flavorful sauce that's also used to baste the chicken while it cooks. The result is moist chicken skewers full of Asian flavors.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 16 to 19 minutes
Total Time: 26 to 29 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8
- 2/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 pounds boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- sesame seeds or chopped green onions, for garnish
Here's how to make it:
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a saucepot. Bring the mixture to a boil, whisking, and cook about 1 minute. Remove 1 cup of the sauce to a bowl to use as a baste. Set aside the remaining sauce.
- Thread the chicken onto skewers. (If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes first so they don't burn.) Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium heat. Add the chicken and cook for about 3 minutes on the first side. Turn them over and baste with the sauce. Cook about 3 minutes more. Continue flipping and basting until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes more. Garnish with chopped green onions or sesame seeds. Serve with remaining sauce for dipping.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Grills $30 & Up
Grill Pans $10 & Up
Mirin $4 & Up
Low Sodium Soy Sauce $3 & Up
Red Wine Vinegar $3 & Up
Brown Sugar $3 & Up
Cornstarch $2 & Up
Sesame Seeds $3 & Up
Wooden Skewers $4 & Up
Metal Skewers $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.