Crispy Baked Carnitas Recipe: It's Time to Change Up Taco Night by Donna John
Some meats just bake in the oven, but some dance with the other ingredients, mingling, creating an intoxicating aroma throughout the house. This easy oven-baked pork carnitas recipe is the latter. The smell is so heavenly you'll have trouble waiting for dinner. But don't peek! Let them get tender, succulent and ready for those tortillas, taco shells of Mexican rice bowls.
Buy pre-cut pork for carnitas to speed up the prep process. After seasoning the pork with a blend of brown sugar, sea salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, coriander and cayenne, it is bathed in citrus juices, garlic, onion and bay leaves. After baking for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, the fork-tender meat is shredded. Juicy pork perfection for perfect taco night.
To make the perfect Mexican bowl, fill a bowl with shredded carnitas, rice, pico de gallo, guacamole, beans, sour cream, lettuce and shredded cheese. If you have leftovers try my carnitas omelette recipe or use it for sandwiches or a tasty pizza topping.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 1/2 to 3 hours
Total Time: 2 hours ad 40 minutes to 3 hours and 10 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 2 - 3 pounds pre-cut carnitas pork meat cubes
- 1 onion, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 oranges
- 2 limes
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ground cayenne pepper, to taste
Here's how to make it:
- Combine all the seasoning ingredients in a small bowl.
- Put the pork cubes into a baking pan.
- Sprinkle the seasoning all over the meat.
- Juice the oranges and limes over the meat. (You want at least 1/3 cup of orange juice.) Add the spent orange halves, onion, garlic and bay leaves.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 300-degree F oven for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Remove the meat from the oven. Put the meat onto a baking sheet and pop it under the broiler until meat is crispy, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve whole with the pan drippings or shred and use in tacos.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Baking Pans $9 & Up
Baking Sheets $8 & Up
Bay Leaves $3 & Up
Brown Sugar $3 & Up
Ground Cumin $3 & Up
Ground Coriander $3 & Up
Dried Oregano $3 & Up
Ground Cayenne $3 & Up
Sea Salt $2 & Up
Black Pepper $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.