This Creamy Lemon Ice Cream Recipe Is What You Need Right Now by 30Seconds Food
Summertime screams for lemon desserts. We think you need a bowl of refreshing, creamy lemon ice cream right about now. This is one ice cream recipe you will want to print out and keep to make over and over again.
All you need to make this easy cooked lemon ice cream is heavy cream, milk, granulated sugar, lemon zest, salt, egg yolks, lemon juice (fresh is best) and yellow food coloring if you want a more intense yellow color. The cooked ice cream is cooled then processed in an ice cream maker.
What could be better than a bowl of creamy lemon ice cream? Lemon ice cream that's sandwiched between two cookies. This little tip in Recipe Notes below will help you create a dessert you won't soon forget. Any cookie will work – lemon is a flavor that plays well with others. If you want an even simpler version of this lemon ice cream sandwich recipe, buy store-bought lemon ice cream. We won't tell. With temperatures rising, you need a refreshing lemon dessert recipe.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 4 hours for chilling/freezing
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours and 10 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 teaspoons lemon zest
- dash of salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- yellow food coloring (optional)
- If making ice cream sandwiches, let the ice cream soften just slightly so it scoops out easily. Add one scoop on top of a cookie, put another on top and gently press to form the ice cream sandwich. Place in a container. Repeat with the remaining ice cream and cookies. Cover and store in the freezer until ready to serve.
- Any flavor cookie can be used. Try lemon, chocolate chip, coconut, vanilla, peanut butter, chocolate, etc.
Here's how to make it:
- To make the ice cream, put the cream, milk, sugar, lemon zest and salt into a saucepot. Bring it to a boil.
- While it's coming to a boil, beat the egg yolks in a bowl. Add about 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture to the eggs to temper. Pour the egg yolks into the saucepot. Whisk to combine. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture can coat the back of a spoon, about 4 to 5 minutes. Do not boil.
- Add the lemon juice and whisk. If using yellow food coloring, add now. Stir. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until cold, abut 2 hours.
- Pour the chilled mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer the processed ice cream into a container and freeze about 2 hours.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.