You Won't Be Able to Forget This Gelato Affogato Recipe: "Indelible" Author Shares 2 Ways to Make This Coffee-based Italian Dessert by Laurie Buchanan, Author
On page 84 of my book, Indelible, Niall MacCullough serves gelato affogato in the Ink Well for dessert. Affogato means "drowned" in Italian. There are two ways to make this delicious gelato affogato recipe: The easy way – buy vanilla gelato already made. Or Niall's way, from scratch.
Prep Time: 0 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes to brew espresso
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1 shot espresso
- vanilla gelato
Here's how to make it:
- Pour a shot of espresso over vanilla gelato for a sublimely simple dessert.
- If you want to dress it up a bit, you can top it with whipped cream. Biscotti are a natural accompaniment.
Niall MacCullough's Method
Prep Time: 5 plus hours to chill and freeze
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 5 plus hours
Servings: 8 to 10
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- pinch of kosher salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved or 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 8 - 10 shots freshly brewed espresso
Here's how to make it:
- In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the milk, cream and salt. Heat until bubbles form around the edges of the pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. Slowly add the warm milk mixture, stirring constantly until blended. If using a vanilla bean, stir in the seeds now.
- Transfer the mixture to a clean saucepan set over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the custard thickens and a finger drawn across the back of the spoon leaves a path, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour the custard through a fine-mesh sieve over a clean bowl. If using vanilla paste, stir in now. Place the bowl in a larger one filled halfway with ice and water and let cool, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- Put the custard into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer the gelato to a chilled container, cover and freeze for at least 3 hours or up to three days.
- Scoop the gelato into glasses or bowls and pour one shot of espresso over each portion. Serve immediately.
Indelible: not able to be forgotten or removed
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Electric Ice Cream Makers $25 & Up
Saucepots $10 & Up
Espresso Makers $40 & Up
Mesh Sieves $5 & Up
Espresso $5 & Up
Vanilla Beans $5 & Up
Vanilla Paste $6 & Up
Kosher Salt $2 & Up
Sugar $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.